“The real goal of Healthcare reform must be high-quality universal coverage in a cost-effective way, which is only possible through technology evolution.”
– Bernie Sanders
Rapidly evolving technology has changed the lifestyle, providing most of the things on the fingertips. Whether it is to reserve a movie ticket or to purchase anything from an online store, technology plays a vital role in changing the landscape of how people live every day. So, why can’t we have HEALTHCARE on our fingertips?
We all are part of the ever-changing modern world and its growing panorama. The world is changing but are we as humans, living a healthy and full-filled life?
Maybe looking at the following facts, will highlight the real scenario:
- Around the globe, every year, more than 50,000 healthy people who have minor epilepsy, died of sudden death. The condition is also known as SUDEP which is mainly preventable if proper precaution is available on time, as per the researcher Rosalind Picard.
- According to WHO reports, Depression has become a common mental disorder. Globally, more than 300 million people of different age groups are suffering from Depression.
- As per the recent WHO reports, between 2015 and 2050, the proportion of the world’s population over the period of 60 years will nearly double from 12% to 22%. The pace of population aging is much faster than in the past. All countries face significant challenges to ensure that their health and social systems are ready to make the most of this demographic shift.
- As per the Universal Health Coverage, at least half of the world’s population still does not have basic coverage of essential health services.
- Almost half of all deaths occur due to high blood glucose that appears before the age of 70 years. The World Health Organization estimates that diabetes was the seventh leading cause of death in 2016.
- 60% of the related factors to individual health and quality of life are interrelated to the lifestyle choices, including taking prescriptions such as blood-pressure medications correctly, getting exercise, and reducing stress.
Looking at the current scenario, we can feel the need for a lot of transformation in the Healthcare Industry.
Well, a few groups of people who care for society are taking the initiative in this arena and mainly IT Solution firms are working in providing digital healthcare solutions. These people are solving problems by taking the help of powerful digital tools and saving millions of lives.
- As mentioned above, epilepsy is a condition that is also known as SUDEP in which the person dies suddenly. If proper precaution is given, death can be prevented. Recovery of this health condition is available with the help of a smartwatch that can detect epileptic seizures before their occurrence. Thus, alerting the nearby loved ones at the time of emergency.
- In Southeast England, patients discharged from hospitals are provided with a Wi-Fi-enabled armband. The armband monitors the vital signs remotely like respiratory rate, oxygen levels, pulse, blood pressure, and body temperature. Artificial Intelligence technology helps to monitor a patient remotely and provides accurate real-time data. Thus, healthcare technology helps to reduce the readmission to the hospitals by 22%.
- People who have diabetes can now continuously monitor their glucose without fingersticks through life-changing technology developed by Abbott. Abbott developed a tiny implants system that can monitor heart patients and even help the doctors to monitor patient health details remotely which provides early warning signs of heart failure and proper precaution can be taken accordingly.
Healthcare industry can play an essential role by saving millions of lives across the globe. It is majorly possible by providing this industry with competent “med-tech” solutions that help healthcare professionals to take necessary actions on time and save a life.
The blend of technology and healthcare industry together can achieve the goal of providing healthcare services to people as individuals’ right.
Thus, with the help of algorithms now actively searching for warning signs in the data, it has become apparent to alert both patients & healthcare professionals immediately. The inclusion of technology in Healthcare will help to empower the industry via helping patients & doctors to detect healthcare-related problems before the actual disease is caused.
Imagine what if we all could live in a world where precaution for the disease is available before you ask for it.
- WHO UHC:
- TED Talk on AI Smartwatch:
- Harvard Business Review: